The Chops are two very fishy spots.
(1) West Chop: The rip off West Chop is an excellent spring and early summer spot to troll for striped bass. Some folks would bundle this area in as Middle Ground due to its proximity of Middle ground’s easterly tip. The most popular way to troll for stripers here is to run short s-curves in front of the rip. The water is often weedy here, but well worth the effort. This area also holds large fluke, sea bass and porgies.
(2) Vineyard Haven Harbor: This is a prime area to look for bonito and false albacore from mid-summer into the fall. Use flies, small soft plastics, small jigs, small metal lures. Watch for birds diving to indicate fish.
(3) East Chop: Bonito and albies often congregate off the steam ship docs.
(4) In deeper water, there is some fantastic early spring sea bass fishing. You’ll see the fleet, but if not, look for good structure and or any of the small wrecks you might find on your fish finder. You can pretty much always count on finding your own nook to catch fish and not be super crowded.
- Lat & Long: 41°29’ x 70°34.5’
- Best Tide: Either; action slows at slack.
- Hazards: Heavy boat traffic (including ferries) in the summer.