“At Hogy, I am surrounded by and work with some of the best anglers I have met every day. We are all anglers here at Hogy and we all take our gear very seriously, especially lures that have our name on them. We critique, analyze, tweak, re-tweak and most importantly, believe in our gear that we use every time we’re on the water. We have great pride in this collection, which we believe are the best tuna casting and jigging lures for tuna to date. We are obsessed with always making something better, easier to use, heavier, lighter or wherever “if only they made a…” takes us. We have been tweaking these lures for years and I believe in my heart it’s evident when you use any one of these products.” – Captain Mike
The Hogy Lure Platform
Systemic Approach: At Hogy, we are huge believers in systems and our tuna jigging and casting collection are consistent with our MACRO approach to how we understand, approach and present to tuna. Everything in our arsenal has a place and is adaptable for a multitude of situations.
Match The Hatch: We match the hatch in size, profile and color. Pretty much every possible baitfish is represented here to include: squid, half beaks, sand eels, half beaks, herring, mackerel and butterfish.
Simple: We also believe in simplicity. Simplicity = flexibility in fishing. Our simple designs allow great flexibility to adapt to every possible situation you may encounter, often without even changing the lure.
Water Column: We address all levels of the water column and our simple shapes and sizes allow for a multitude of retrieves and methods without changing lures.
Speeds: We are painfully aware of how moody tuna are. Like a set of golf clubs, each lure in our line-up has its place. Some lures are fished slowly, others so fast they skip across the surface like a fleeing baitfish.
Durability: Our lures are designed to be fished right out of the package, and rigged the same way our pro-staffers would fish them. After all, they’re the same guys who told us what hooks to use.
Hogy Charter Grade Sliders
- Hogy Charter Grade Sliders: Our surface plugs are designed for mimicking large baits such as herring, mackerel and half beaks. They’re great for casting to breaking fish and blind casting. Like all of our “tuna grade” products, the Hogy Slider has an oversized thru-wire system for strength. Each slider is carefully balanced and finished with multiple coats for the ultimate finish. The Hogy Slider comes pre-rigged and ready to be fished the way a serious angler would with ultra-top-shelf CMC Tropic Star belly hook and an Inline single for the tail hook, hence the name, charter grade.
- Methods: Casting, Trolling, Scanning
- Sizes: 7” 4oz and 6oz
- Imitates: Mackerel, Herring, Butterfish, Generic
The Hogy Epoxy Jig® Lure
- The Hogy Epoxy Jig® Lure: The Hogy Epoxy Jig® Lure leads the hot albie market with smaller versions of this tuna-grade edition. The Hogy Tuna Grade Epoxy Jig® Lure is thru-wired and features the ultra-strong, and ultra-sharp VMC Tropic Star Hook. Hogy Tuna Epoxy Jig® Lure can be fished on top, subsurface or in a drop and reel pattern. They are also effective on a slow drop – slow jig and a twitchy presentation. BUT: The Epoxy Jig® Lure is most famous for its status as the KING OF THE SKIPPY RETRIEVE which simulates a fleeing bait fish skipping on the water.
- Methods: Casting, Troll Scanning, Slow Jigging, Twitchy Jigging
- Sizes: 4oz
- Imitates: Mackerel, Herring, Butterfish, Sand Eels
Harness Jig Eels
- It’s hard to beat this shape and profile as a sand eel imitation. The Hogy Harness Jig has an airbrushed head, 6X Strong harness system suitable for giant tuna and HDUV infused tails. They come in all the colors but bone. Silver, green and olive are the main players. The tails on these things are so soft, they are incredibly effective with no action imparted by the angler at all.
- Methods: B and C-Style Casting, Slow Jigging, Troll Scanning, Dead Stick
- Sizes: 4oz, 5oz, 6oz
- Imitates: Sand Eels, Herring
Harness Pro Tail Jigs
- This series was designed to imitate the larger baitfish that can be found offshore such as mackerel, bluefish and bottom dwellers such as mud hake and small cod. These lures feature imitative paint jobs and a big game harness system designed to handle giants on bent-butt class conventional Internally, they feature the signature Hogy Harness system, beefed up with an even larger southern style Tuna Hook.
- Method: Slow Jigging, Troll Scanning, Dead Stick
- Best Size: 9” 6oz and 9oz
- Imitates: Mackerel, Herring, Butter Fish, Bluefish, Bottom Fish
Classic Hogy Pro Tail Paddles
- Classic Hogy Pro Tail Paddles: Both the 5.5” and 6.5” sizes feature tuna grade hooks. 3oz and 4oz versions are most popular for casting. The larger 5 and 6oz versions can be cast on heavy gear, jigged and trolled. Hogy Pro Tails are great for imitating herring, butterfish, mackerel and other medium size bait fish. This bait is especially unique in that it presents a small offering that imitates small and medium sized baitfish, has enough weight to cast on heavy gear and gets down deep in heavy currents. The same length baits come in a variety of weights making this series perhaps the most versatile lure on the market.
- Methods: A, B, C styles of casting, Slow Jigging, Troll Scanning, Dead Stick
- Sizes: 4oz, 5oz, 6oz
- Imitates: Sand Eels, Herring
Sand Eel Jigs
- Sand Eel Jigs: The 3.5oz and 4.5oz sizes are great for casting, allowing any angler the advantage of great distance. The narrow and balanced silhouette enables a shallow retrieve and will flutter on the drop. The larger 6.5oz and 8.5oz versions are suited for jigging, and will have a fast sink rate. They can be jigged fast or slowly.
- Methods: A, B, C styles of casting, Slow Jigging, Twitchy Jigging
- Sizes: 5oz, 4.5oz, 6.5oz, 8.5oz
- Imitates: Sand Eels
Charter Grade Poppers
- XL Tuna Poppers: Poppers are a go-to, long-range casting bait when imitating large baitfish such as herring and mackerel. They can be worked fast with a walk the dog like style ,or they can be fished with a “stop and go” retrieve, waiting a few seconds in between pops.